Meeting minutes summaries will now be posted weekly, for people that couldn’t show up. We’ve got many weeks that we’ve met, and I’m finally posting the meeting minutes for them. Whew.
First meeting (awhile ago)
The topic was reform vs. revolution. It was discussion-based.
- We went around in a circle and proposed our personal ideas of what is needed to fix deep systemic problems, whether it was reform or revolution based (not violent revolution!)
- Proposed that we be more open, more creative with art, coffeehouses, speakouts, etc
- Emphasized that change of self is very important to whatever movement is going on
- Vigorous application of your ideal self and your potential everyday is a good idea
- For true revolution, EVERYONE needs to be supporters
- Ran into questions of communes working with medicine, supplies, etc (get into that at a later meeting)
- “Things that work, Survive”.
- Talked about the name, unschool, being too abrasive to people.
- Talked about all-one concept: everything is part of the whole
- Discussed the concept of change: People both need to be educated and also empowered to take action
- Art as displaying the beauty and the scale of trying to help everything
- No definitions. No standards.
Second Meeting : Venus project and Zeitgeist movement
- Where do we go from here? Possibilities of technology
- Our current state of affairs is mostly unintentional. Noone wanted war, poverty, etc
- “Spaceship Earth” Concept covered: Earth and all creatures as one, no seperation of nations, people, material, etc
- The idea of competing ideas, not people.
- Technology replacing processes that are menial tasks, more autonomous, more freedom
- Went over social conditioning, false lessons, “Right and Wrong”
- Reforming our world starts with ourselves
- Means need to equal the ends
- Idea of memetics: spreading ideas exponentially
- Voluntary society
Third Meeting: Social Construction. Heated conversation.
- 2 groups: Oppressed and Privileged.
- Privileged group: perpetuated by oppressed, norms, media, power, etc
- Oppressed group internalized message that they should be “normal”
- “Duties” and how that buys into the system, filling “roles”
- Colonization of the mind: Oppressed group is so oppressed they think what they are doing is acceptable and not questionable
- Advocate model: actively resisting norms and standards
- Patriarchy: System run by men for men.
- To be an active resistor, you must learn of your privilege compared to others
- Did pie charts to see how privileged we were. If it was full, you were the most privileged. Mine was full!
- To be “privileged” means the ability to ignore oppression or the ability to recognize it and resist
- If we had a society with no categorization of people, social equity would be reached
- Recognize the imperfection of language
- See people for how they choose to be seen
More meeting minutes coming up next week. Cheers.